The Party Wall Act etc. 1996

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 came into force throughout England and Wales on 1 July 1997 and provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes between owners of neighbouring properties in relation to work on or close to a party wall.

View Online


Purpose of The Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 provides a statutory framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings.

Party Wall Notices

A Building Owner proposing to start work covered by the Act, must give Adjoining Owners notice of his intentions as set out in the Act.

When undertaking work to existing party or party fence walls, a “Party Structure Notice” is appropriate and must be served at least two months prior to such work commencing on site.

If building at or on the boundary or carrying out excavation works, a “Line of Junction” and a 3/6 Metre Notice, respectively, must be served at least one month prior to such work commencing.

Learn more

Party Wall Awards

Adjoining Owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes, whereby surveyors are appointed to make an award.

An award will describe in detail the nature and extent of work that is to be carried out, measures to prevent unnecessary inconvenience, the working practices that are to be followed and the time period within which the works shall be commenced. In most cases the surveyor(s) will examine the proposed plans, check engineer’s calculations (where applicable) and make an assessment of the likely impact that the works may have on an Adjoining Owner’s property.

Learn More

Party Wall Enquiry

We take your online privacy seriously and will not share your personal details. For more information on how we will manage your personal data please read our Privacy Policy.

Party Wall Advice

We pride ourselves in having the necessary experience in being able to competently deal with all types of party wall issues and have very efficient systems in place, which enable us to offer competitive fees, whilst at the same time maintaining the highest level of professionalism. For more information for owners please follow the links below.

Building Owners
A Building Owner is an owner of land who is desirous of exercising rights under the Act. Do you need to serve a notice under The Party Wall Act? If you are planning building works then a Notice may be necessary.
Adjoining Owners

An Adjoining Owner is an occupier or owner of land, buildings, storeys or rooms adjoining those of the building owner and for the purposes only of section 6 within the distances specified in that section.